Fixing up That Free Laptop ;)
Though I am grateful to our Amma, I don't really fancy her staring at my face as soon as I turn the laptop on [some Rosie Huntington bootay for me please! :P]. I'm pretty sure most people peeled off the sticker of her glorious countenance, and switched the desktop wallpaper.
The lap comes with dual operating systems , Win 7 and BOSS Linux. I did some research to optimize the lap to my needs and decided to write a guide to make things easy for others. This guide will cover the following issues.
1. How to Change Account name from ELCOT to whatever
2. How to change System Name From ELCOT to whatever
3. Login Details for BOSS Linux.
4. How to remove BOSS Linux while retaining Windows 7.
5. How to remove GRUB and replace it with the normal Windows NT bootloader.
6. How to reallocate the 100gb previously used up by BOSS.
7. How to get rid of the annoying Drive Q, which gives the drive inaccessible error.
8. About the BIOS splashscreen with the TN Logo
How to Change Account name from ELCOT to whateverGo to Start Menu > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change your account name.
How to change System Name From ELCOT to whateverGo to Start Menu
In the Search column type " sysdm.cpl "
Click " Change " button.
knock yourself out naming your pc, I personally prefer AlottaV Agina
Login Details for BOSS LinuxThough I liked Ubuntu, I found the BOSS Linux thing crappy. But if you want to try it out and are annoyed by the constant request for login, here's what you need
For TamilNadu Free Laptop the Linux login is
How to remove BOSS Linux while retaining Windows 7 :
a] How to remove GRUB and replace it with the normal Windows NT bootloader
b] How to reallocate the 100gb previously used up by BOSS.
This one is a bit tricky, but do as I say and all will be well young padwan
First Download the following: [ free from both payment and malware ]
A> Required EASEUS Partition Master – Home Edition
B> option 1 EASY BCD [ have to give name and email for download , can give fake one]
To download Scroll down, click register, put in your details and ou should be able to download the installation file.
This has two steps. RESTART ONLY AFTER COMPLETING BOTH STEPS
STEP 1 - Two options, choose one
Process [ with EASY BCD 2.1.2 Community edition, this is easy and has GUI ]
-Run EASY BCD 2.1.2 Community edition
-Select BCD deployment
-In MBR Configuration options > choose Install windows vista/7 bootloader to MBR
-Select Write MBR
This has removed GRUB and replaced it with windows bootloader.
NOTE: This video tutorial is with and earlier version of easy BCD 1.7.2. Current downloadable version is 2.1.2.
- Start EASEUS Partition Master – Home Edition
- Click Go to main screen
-Select The last partition of 100gb capacity, EXT3 file system
- Right Click > Delete Partition
- Now it shows Unallocated space . Right Click > Create Partition , to create a new Patition E:\ .
- You can also merge it with C or D partition using the merge command
- Click Apply on left-top side of the menu bar
NOTE - DO NOT TOUCH THE 200MB NTFS PARTITION NAMED *: , IT CONTAINS WIN7 FILES
Now you are free of linux and have 100gb more space for yourself on windows.
How to get rid of the annoying [hide] Drive Q, which gives the drive inaccessible errorThe presence of the Drive Q:\ is because of the“Click-To-Run” Office 2010. Though it is harmless, it can get quite irritating when you accidentally click it while browsing through the system.
Here’s how to hide it.
-Go to Start Menu
-In the Search column type " Regedit " . Open the program regedit.exe
-Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
If you don't have the EXPLORER folder in POLICIES,
right click Policies > New > Key . Name it as " Explorer "
- Open the folder Explorer
- Right Click inside the bigger column on the Right> New > DWORD 32bit Value
- Name it as " NoDrives " . Right Click it > Modify... > input Value Data as " 65536 " > choose base as "Decimal " > Click ok
Restart and the drive should be gone. Simple as that.
About the BIOS splashscreen with the TN LogoI was reading up about changing the TN boot screen but it apparently needs fidgeting with the BIOS , which is not recommended anywhere. Any screw-ups and your motherboard gets bricked.
Guess I can live with the 2 sec reminder of the donor of the laptop.
I hope this stuff helps you guys. Comment if you got any questions.
May the force be with you!